::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

Sci-Fi Reading List

by ::G @ 2014-01-09 13:04
J.S. on Facebook posted a link to an article espousing "10 sci-fi novel opening lines that’ll take your breath away."  If the opening line's a promise of the quality of the rest of the text, then the five books on the list that I haven't read need to be.  From the article:
  • “I’ve watched through his eyes, I’ve listened through his ears, and I tell you he’s the one.”  Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card.
  • “The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”Neuromancer, William Gibson.
  • “A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened Rick Deckard.”Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K. Dick
  • “Monday morning when I answered the door there were twenty-one new real estate agents there, all in horrible polyester gold jackets.”The Hacker And The Ants, Version 2.0, Rudy Rucker.
  • “It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking 13.” 1984, George Orwell.
  • “The morning after he killed Eugene Shapiro, Andre Deschenes woke early.”Undertow, Elizabeth Bear.
  • “At the end, the bottom, the very worst of it, with the world afire and hell’s flamewinged angels calling him by name, Lee Crane blamed himself.” –  Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Theodore Sturgeon.
  • “Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.” - A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams.
  • “The manhunt extended across more than one hundred light years and eight centuries.” - A Deepness In The Sky, Vernor Vinge.
  • “It was a pleasure to burn.” Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury.
I've read Card, Gibson, PKD, Orwell, and Adams.  Seems like I should've read Bradbury, but never got around to it.  My reading list is somewhat out of control, though; filled with non-fiction.