No Christmas Cards
by ::G @ 2004-12-24 01:08
By this I mean, I haven't sent any out for the first time in probably ten years. Needless to say, I feel pretty guilty. Probably my priorities are mixed up. It's hard to sort things out when one is sleep-deprived and stressed out. For example, when one works the whole week morning to night, it's hard to make plans for the weekend. When the weekend comes, then it's like, "I'm free!! ...now what?" There's no time to plan, and there are too many things demanding attention. Then when Sunday night rolls around, one might remember some of the things that needed to be done, but didn't get done. Such as it was for my Christmas cards this year.
Not like I could just run over to a Hallmark over lunch and buy a stack (before and after work the stores that sell them are closed). Then I need to find time to write messages and run to the post office and mail them. Postage is about 4x for sending overseas versus what I would've spent in the U.S., but cost isn't a problem. Time is. By the time I bought cards, even if I had time to write and send them, they would've been over a week late. Another bad habit of mine, being late.
Seems like the hardest part in life is getting one's priorities straight, the balance between wants, needs, and goals, both from oneself and from others. Give in too much to your wants, and you're a hedonist. Spend too much time chasing long-term goals and you becomes impractical and disconnected from the now. One's needs are important, but another difficulting is discerning one's needs from one's wants: everyone has to eat, but how well and how much?
I could probably turn anything into a philosophical discussion. The short of it is, I screwed up and didn't send Christmas cards. I'll try to send out New Year's cards—if I can work up the energy to make them....
Not like I could just run over to a Hallmark over lunch and buy a stack (before and after work the stores that sell them are closed). Then I need to find time to write messages and run to the post office and mail them. Postage is about 4x for sending overseas versus what I would've spent in the U.S., but cost isn't a problem. Time is. By the time I bought cards, even if I had time to write and send them, they would've been over a week late. Another bad habit of mine, being late.
Seems like the hardest part in life is getting one's priorities straight, the balance between wants, needs, and goals, both from oneself and from others. Give in too much to your wants, and you're a hedonist. Spend too much time chasing long-term goals and you becomes impractical and disconnected from the now. One's needs are important, but another difficulting is discerning one's needs from one's wants: everyone has to eat, but how well and how much?
I could probably turn anything into a philosophical discussion. The short of it is, I screwed up and didn't send Christmas cards. I'll try to send out New Year's cards—if I can work up the energy to make them....


Leave a comment