MWCA Rochester 2010
by ::G @ 2010-01-16 14:41
Of course I have more important things I should be writing about. Even so, firearms are one of my main interests, and as such, it's one of the few things that I get enthusiastic over.
Every January, the Minnesota Weapons Collectors Association holds a show in Rochester. I've attended the past couple years, also writing a bit about last year's show. As a result of three years of observations, I've found that the show is something of a mixed bag.
I like to go to gun shows not to buy, since prices are usually high, but to see what's available and to otherwise pick up information. Case in point, ammo is typically 20-25% more than what one can get it for online, even shipped: a guy I bought ammo from a couple years back was selling the very same crate of Radway Green .308 NATO that I can get for $400 shipped for $480. Glock magazines sold by the largest dealer at the show are 50% more than what I can get them for (granted, with a C&R discount). Even so, prices seem to have come down compared to last year, I assume partly due to overproduction due to the shortages stemming from panic buying.
As far as information I obtained, my true main objective in going to this MWCA was to get the machinegun shoot dates for this year. Last year was too much fun. I found out that SMSC now does indoor pistol on Sundays from 13:00-15:00. The Thursday sessions I'd been unable to go to due to the stupid work teleconference. Also, I picked up some information on the Pine Island Sportsman's Club. They do some competitive shooting, so I might have to join.
This year the show seemed be smaller than last year, which was smaller yet than the year before. There were fewer "black rifles" other than the obligatory AR-15s and MSARs. I suppose I'm primarily referring to the HK-91s and M1As. Counterexamples for the latter were a cast receiver HK-91 clone (for $800, which I wouldn't have bought for $80 because they're rife with problems) as well as an M1A Scout for $1900, but other than that I didn't see squat. There were a lot of GSGs, the MP5 clones in .22LR for sale. Ever since HK sued the pants off of them and the guns are no longer imported, prices have dropped a bit. The one thing I had to resist buying was a Ruger LCR, which I saw for $420, not a bad price at all. $400 is the going price on GunBroker, plus the FFL transfer fee (about $25), transaction costs (3% for credit cards), and S&H (typically $20). Gander Mountain wanted $480 or somesuch, I think. Why didn't I get it? Well, I'm trying to conserve moolah this month, so purchases at the show were pretty off-limits. I have to admit I would've bought an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for the Glock if it were available, as there's a waiting list for those, but no such luck.
I'd thought about getting a table and selling stuff, but MWCA wants dealers to be there the whole time and I couldn't justify blowing the whole weekend. I'd need to move several thousand in merchandise to get a return on the time investment. Maybe next year.
Anyhow, my mission was accomplished, so I left after about an hour and a half. Sachie was surprised that I wasn't gone for longer, but for once I was focused.
Every January, the Minnesota Weapons Collectors Association holds a show in Rochester. I've attended the past couple years, also writing a bit about last year's show. As a result of three years of observations, I've found that the show is something of a mixed bag.
I like to go to gun shows not to buy, since prices are usually high, but to see what's available and to otherwise pick up information. Case in point, ammo is typically 20-25% more than what one can get it for online, even shipped: a guy I bought ammo from a couple years back was selling the very same crate of Radway Green .308 NATO that I can get for $400 shipped for $480. Glock magazines sold by the largest dealer at the show are 50% more than what I can get them for (granted, with a C&R discount). Even so, prices seem to have come down compared to last year, I assume partly due to overproduction due to the shortages stemming from panic buying.
As far as information I obtained, my true main objective in going to this MWCA was to get the machinegun shoot dates for this year. Last year was too much fun. I found out that SMSC now does indoor pistol on Sundays from 13:00-15:00. The Thursday sessions I'd been unable to go to due to the stupid work teleconference. Also, I picked up some information on the Pine Island Sportsman's Club. They do some competitive shooting, so I might have to join.
This year the show seemed be smaller than last year, which was smaller yet than the year before. There were fewer "black rifles" other than the obligatory AR-15s and MSARs. I suppose I'm primarily referring to the HK-91s and M1As. Counterexamples for the latter were a cast receiver HK-91 clone (for $800, which I wouldn't have bought for $80 because they're rife with problems) as well as an M1A Scout for $1900, but other than that I didn't see squat. There were a lot of GSGs, the MP5 clones in .22LR for sale. Ever since HK sued the pants off of them and the guns are no longer imported, prices have dropped a bit. The one thing I had to resist buying was a Ruger LCR, which I saw for $420, not a bad price at all. $400 is the going price on GunBroker, plus the FFL transfer fee (about $25), transaction costs (3% for credit cards), and S&H (typically $20). Gander Mountain wanted $480 or somesuch, I think. Why didn't I get it? Well, I'm trying to conserve moolah this month, so purchases at the show were pretty off-limits. I have to admit I would've bought an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for the Glock if it were available, as there's a waiting list for those, but no such luck.
I'd thought about getting a table and selling stuff, but MWCA wants dealers to be there the whole time and I couldn't justify blowing the whole weekend. I'd need to move several thousand in merchandise to get a return on the time investment. Maybe next year.
Anyhow, my mission was accomplished, so I left after about an hour and a half. Sachie was surprised that I wasn't gone for longer, but for once I was focused.


Leave a comment