::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

Three Lessons

by ::G @ 2014-01-16 14:49
This has been in my drafts folder since around September 2012.  In that year, I noted three salient incidents that influenced my thinking.
  1. The lesson of Frank Anderson: Take it easy.  Ol' Frank had his pickup parked next to my Fit, and when he got back to his truck, he threw open the door.  I was sitting in the car with my kid, and when his door hit mine, she woke up.  To make a long story short, keep things in perspective, and don't get too bent out of shape for things that don't really matter.
  2. The lesson of Connie: Pay more attention to people.  Now it's been so long that I don't recall the exact circumstances.  I was talking to a former admin at work and she mentioned several things from years ago that I wasn't aware of that made a lot of sense in retrospect.  Well, I tend to only emphasize relationships that I think "matter," but other relationships around oneself matter also.  To ignore them is a personal loss in terms of what one could learn from them.
  3. The lesson of Ikea: Don't spend too much when it might not be for the right reasons.  Previously I wanted to buy quality items, particularly furniture items, because cheap stuff often falls apart and is made of composite materials (such as particle board, which contains formaldehyde glues) that are detrimental to one's health.  The issue with that is not being able to buy what one needs to organize, which is also problematic.  Sometimes you don't need Room and Board-quality furniture, when Ikea will do.  The other component to this is that Ikea can be overpriced, so shop around!  The colloquialism that embodies this is "git er done"--obtain functionality you need when you need it at a price you can afford.  It's achievable somehow.
I may need to revisit this in the future.