Katy
by ::G @ 2004-09-02 21:03
I just got a note from my friend Katy, saying that she might be getting a divorce. Her husband Ko, who's Japanese, apparently is having issues adjusting to living in the U.S., not having the kind of job he's trained for, and being married to a fairly independent American woman. Well, sounds like he's the one who wants the divorce, though. I went to Katy's wedding in Michigan last August, so it's barely been a year. She'd sent me a couple emails about arguments and things, but sometimes Katy can get worked up about things that aren't so significant. Maybe it's hard for me to judge. I regret not having been able to be there to at least talk to them, instead of being just a very distant bystander. Since I've been in Japan I've only talked to her once, which makes me feel especially guilty. The 180-degree phase shift in time zone makes it hard to stay in touch with people in the U.S., but if one can't be there for their friends, what kind of friend are they? I hope she's going to be ok.


Leave a comment
So after a few email exchanges (she's been hard to get ahold of by phone), I found out Katy and Ko will be going to counseling, but things are still rocky, and their future is still uncertain. Isn't the future always that way.
Finally was able to talk to Katy on Sunday morning. A week or so ago she and Ko were able to get a meaningful discussion in and they understand what problems they're facing. Ko was able to get a decent job, so he feels a better now that he can bring home the bacon. I can't imagine how rough it is having both of them working and taking classes at the same time. Nothing short of a Herculean feat. Anyway, I'll have my fingers crossed for them....