::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

Negi-miso

by ::G @ 2004-11-02 06:37
One more thing, as I'm procrastinating over soldering 0.25mm-thick wire on the underside of a mobile drive card and trying to observe a phenomenon that may or may not be there.

I have to say, negi-miso on ground beef patties rules! Negi is onion and miso is the soybean paste used in miso-shiru, that funky Japanese soup. For once, I and three other guys went out for dinner, if only over to Ito Yokado's Otoya. Normally it's cafeteria food, which is various rehashes of leftovers from lunch. There are no good restaurants within walking distance, but Nakao-san drove. Otoya had a "Miso Teriyaki Hamburg Teishoku", so of course I had to try it. (FYI, in Japan, "hamburg" is the hamburger without the bun.) It mostly tasted like miso, but the teriyaki sauce made it sweeter, and there was onion on it too. Mmmm, negi-miso. Freshness Burger's negi-miso burger is also excellent. I highly recommend it.

What? I'm supposed to be eating Japanese food here? Hey, I've chowed on stuff that most Americans wouldn't even get near, much less consume. Living in Japan is neat, but I wish I could get decent pizza and burgers. One can get ok burgers here, but Australian beef just isn't the same. Besides, we don't put miso on our burgers in the U.S., so I'm partaking of a unique cross-ethnic fusion of Japanese and American cuisine. Or something.

Ok, back to work.