::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

No more Windows for me

by ::G @ 2005-01-26 01:05
According to an article on c|net, Microsoft is going to start requiring users to verify if their copy of Windows is legit prior to allowing download of upgrades. That means Windows gets the boot from me, though I may run a machine behind a hardware firewall (with plenty of virus protection, of course) due to the amount of PC hardware that I currently have.

The reason is this. I paid a lot for Microsoft software when I was a student—when I didn't really have disposable income to spend on bug-ridden software. I legally purchased Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, and NT 3.51, 4.0, and 2000. XP I didn't buy, because I object to the registration of user hardware information with Microsoft (an invasion of privacy). I'm still using Win2k at home, but I had obtained an OEM copy of XP that doesn't do the hardware keying. My rationale for using this copy of XP would've been that I'd paid hundreds of dollars for several OSes that were unstable, caused me to lose time and data on multiple occasions, and in some instances, didn't even work properly (Win 95, NT 3.51 and 4.0). Having spent lots of money on defective software, I think a bit of restitution would not be out of order. (Besides that, I once won a copy of Office 2k in a drawing at a Microsoft seminar on campus that never materialized. The MS rep said that they didn't get a copy in time for the event, but they'd mail it to me later. I gave them my address, but surprise, surprise, the copy never showed up. Scumbags.) Well, I was considering switching my PC over to XP but that's not going to be useful for me now, not with all the security holes and bugs that Microsoft is constantly fixing. Or maybe I should install it, and download as many patches as I can before February 7, heh.

Screw Microsoft. Mac OS X has just become my primary OS. Perhaps with a little bit of Linux and FreeBSD thrown in ^_-