Surreal Dreams & Sig 556
by ::G @ 2011-10-03 08:52
The past few days I've had a normal amount of sleep, which I'm not really used to. This apparently causes me to remember my dreams, which I typically don't. Last night I delved into the underworld of '20s Chicago (I think), in oppressively smoky, table-filled rooms served with illicit booze, where I was undercover, for the mob or for the feds, I don't know which. Rather "Bourne Identity" (the book, not the movie) wouldn't you say? The night before I dreamed I'd installed Linux on a new machine, moved my mail archives over, merged them, and was running a rather old-school Eudora , which is also from a bygone era. Perhaps not getting enough sleep has its advantages.
Yesterday I went over to SMSC where the Appleseed shoot was just winding down. I would've participated except that by the time they picked a date my mother already had tickets to visit. All my shooting buddies have become "orange hat" instructors-in-training (IITs) and were working the line. I'm too time-impoverished, and perhaps commitment-shy, for that, although I've been asked several times.
Anyhow, I was helping clean up and shooting the breeze with a few folks, when one fellow broke out his new Sig 556 with ACOG. Another guy posted targets and we were all trying out the rifle. I was just going to handle it because I'd never seen one up close, but the AS coordinator had a box of American Eagle ammo from which he loaded up a mag and handed to me. I was somewhat embarrassed because I hadn't kept up practice, and a couple guys were comparing groups on the target. The sling was odd and I couldn't figure out how to adjust it while holding the rifle, so in the interest of time I just shouldered the thing without the sling being tight. Even so, apparently I shot the best group. My first round was dead center of my target, although when I shifted my stance to better absorb the recoil after the first shot, that moved my NPOA a couple inches—as one would expect—and drilled a few rounds there. It's good to know I've retained some of my training.
Yesterday I went over to SMSC where the Appleseed shoot was just winding down. I would've participated except that by the time they picked a date my mother already had tickets to visit. All my shooting buddies have become "orange hat" instructors-in-training (IITs) and were working the line. I'm too time-impoverished, and perhaps commitment-shy, for that, although I've been asked several times.
Anyhow, I was helping clean up and shooting the breeze with a few folks, when one fellow broke out his new Sig 556 with ACOG. Another guy posted targets and we were all trying out the rifle. I was just going to handle it because I'd never seen one up close, but the AS coordinator had a box of American Eagle ammo from which he loaded up a mag and handed to me. I was somewhat embarrassed because I hadn't kept up practice, and a couple guys were comparing groups on the target. The sling was odd and I couldn't figure out how to adjust it while holding the rifle, so in the interest of time I just shouldered the thing without the sling being tight. Even so, apparently I shot the best group. My first round was dead center of my target, although when I shifted my stance to better absorb the recoil after the first shot, that moved my NPOA a couple inches—as one would expect—and drilled a few rounds there. It's good to know I've retained some of my training.


Leave a comment