::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

by ::G @ 2004-09-23 05:18
Today's supposed to be a national holiday in Japan, the Autumnal Equinox, but here I am, sitting in the lab. It's ridiculously hot in here, as they turned off the A/C. Basically I came in because I needed to get access to the temperature chamber, since all the ones in the Desktop lab are in use. I kicked off a long test around noon before heading off to lunch, and found not too long after returning that the P.O.S. tester had locked up! So I started scribbling down the intermediate results only to have the screen go after I'd gotten half of it written down. Glad no one was around to hear me cuss and pound on the keyboard.

Only Ikeda-san and Leslie (a guy) are here at the moment. Marty was here earlier, but he left around noon. Since the cafeteria's closed today, Ikeda-san, Leslie, and I all headed out in Ikeda-san's car. Unfortunately, the parking lots at the first two places we went to (one of which being Mos Burger) were completely full. We ended up going to Ito Yokado and ate in the food court. My healthful lunch was a "Chicken Tatsuta Sando" from First Kitchen, a chou creme from Bearded Papa's, and a Caramel Frappaccino from "Sutaba". And so I'm back here when I'd so much rather be at home doing something else.

When I woke up this morning I was strangely relaxed because I knew I didn't have to hurry to work—there was no deadline. I didn't end up being too much later than I normally come in, but having no pressure was nice. Just goes to show how much perception influences one's performance. Maybe that's why I'm feeling so burned out—I feel like my efficiency has declined, and it's a self-fulfilling prophesy. Unfortunately, my tests today haven't gone so well. That's the way it goes, though; I'm not going to burn the whole day here. Us three "dedicated" workers will probably hit dinner and then I'm headed home. Need to burn some CD's for Marty before he heads back to the U.S. Haven't even listened to the new Utada Hikaru CD (Exodus) yet even though I've had it for over a week! That's the way my life's going right now.