::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

A Much Needed Vacation

by ::G @ 2004-11-20 11:32
Saturday Sachie and I went to JTB and bought tickets to the U.S. I'm burning all of my remaining vacation for the year to go home on the 1st. Christmas and New Year's are too expensive to travel, plus I thought it'd be cool to be in Japan over Christmas for once. The tickets turned out to be reasonable, especially compared to what I thought I was going to have to pay based on NWA's direct price. Funny, but tickets from Japan to the U.S. were $1200, but the other way around were only $800. JTB's discount price was even less than that. The agent we had was cute to boot, so if you're in Fujisawa looking for a cheap plane ticket, go to JTB and ask for Tamura.

Noel's here today and tomorrow, so we're hanging out a bit. All three of us went to the mall via car and killed a bunch of time at Nojima. We ordered a few items: me a CD print tray for my U.S. version of the Canon Pixus 950i, and Sachie a USB cable for an Adtec MP3 player she got for free, and a spare AC adapter for her digicam. She picked up the "wagon"—a little cart with casters we're going to put all the game machines on—while Noel and I took the bus and train back since Sachie's brother left a bunch of junk in the car and all of us plus the wagon wouldn't fit.

The Marantz DVD player I ordered (DV6500) came at almost midnight. Sagawa Kyubin screwed up, once trying to redeliver it Friday even though I specified Saturday morning on Wednesday when the first delivery attempt was made, and then they didn't deliver in the morning, so they ended up rescheduling to fit our plans. I didn't mean to buy that particular model: originally I ordered the 4300 since it's hackable to be DVD region-free, but then I discovered it couldn't play back DVD-Audio or SACD, so I asked to change to the 6500. In that case, I wish I hadn't ordered anything, since I'm going to be headed to the U.S. anyway. Argh, I bet DVD-A and SACD have those stupid region codes too....

Sachie made this hashed beef with rice dish, complete with veggies and salad. Mmm...sure beats convenience store food, which I subsist on 1/3 of the time—the rest is work cafeteria food. My normal diet is bad, but such is the life of a salaryman. I'm looking forward to my vacation and being able to forget about work for a while. I so want to forget!