::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

Matthew Sweet

Link by ::G @ 2005-03-29 21:45
Matthew Sweet has an entry on Wikipedia. Cool! I used to be a big Sweet fan back in my latter high school years (ok, senior year). I bought 100% Fun on a whim, largely because I read about Matthew Sweet in an anime magazine (Animerica?), and ended up buying all of the CDs he'd released at the time. Altered Beast was pretty depressing, and I was into depressing stuff at the time, so I ate that up. His early songs are surprisingly 'personal', with the meaning that I thought I could very well see where he's coming from. Great pop music. One early song, "This Above All", was a duet with with Aimee Mann of Til Tuesday fame. I'm surprised that there's nothing about his Lum (a character from Urusei Yatsura) tattoo in the Wikipedia entry. I hope he didn't get rid of it! I also didn't know that he was divorced. That explains why Altered Beast is so dark. Sweet's music had a big influence on me at the time, although maybe I should've been listening to some lighter tunes....