Never a time
by ::G @ 2005-03-25 22:13
As I write this, it's Saturday afternoon. I was at work until 23:00 last night, then I came home and wrote up some summary notes. If I'd been sane, I would've just gone to sleep, but I read some news online as well as perusing more of the HFS+ spec. By the time I crashed, it was after 3am. I slept for about 10 hours—twice as much sleep as I've been getting a night. Yeah!! Except now half my Saturday is gone....
From my "worldly experience", I know now that there is never a time when one can do all the things one wants to do. Nor is there time to do even half of what one wants to do. That's a bitter pill to swallow. In that regard, this international assignment here has been a lesson in the school of hard knocks: not only having work intrude on my personal life, but even within the content of my job. When one is asked to do an amount of work far to great for any one person to do—nee, more than any four or five people can do—items must be prioritized according to importance and done in order. Anything that doesn't get done, just wasn't important enough. The same is true in one's personal life: important things must be done, and little things fall by the wayside. The problem then becomes, how does one place value on things in their life, and how does one go about working on the prioritized list in the most efficient manner? For even though one may know what to do, doing it can be just as hard, or harder.
Things are rough all over.
I have a neverending stream of blog entries that I'd like to write about various topics, but I just don't have the time. The unfortunate thing is, I'm writing this blog for myself, to help remember what happened while I was over here, and yet I can't seem to get it all down. Those things must not've been important...? To me, hardly: it's my life!
From my "worldly experience", I know now that there is never a time when one can do all the things one wants to do. Nor is there time to do even half of what one wants to do. That's a bitter pill to swallow. In that regard, this international assignment here has been a lesson in the school of hard knocks: not only having work intrude on my personal life, but even within the content of my job. When one is asked to do an amount of work far to great for any one person to do—nee, more than any four or five people can do—items must be prioritized according to importance and done in order. Anything that doesn't get done, just wasn't important enough. The same is true in one's personal life: important things must be done, and little things fall by the wayside. The problem then becomes, how does one place value on things in their life, and how does one go about working on the prioritized list in the most efficient manner? For even though one may know what to do, doing it can be just as hard, or harder.
Things are rough all over.
I have a neverending stream of blog entries that I'd like to write about various topics, but I just don't have the time. The unfortunate thing is, I'm writing this blog for myself, to help remember what happened while I was over here, and yet I can't seem to get it all down. Those things must not've been important...? To me, hardly: it's my life!


Leave a comment