::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

More Mac trouble

by ::G @ 2005-04-16 11:47
I haven't posted in a few days partially because I've been busy at work, but also because my PowerBook's wireless connectivity has been on the fritz. For some reason, when I try to connect to my 802.11a/b/g access point with WPA, AirPort claims that the WAP doesn't support that method even though I've been using it for months. I know it's not the WAP since both my AirPort Expresses work fine with it. It's either the AirPort Extreme NIC hardware or a driver. The latter might be likely, as I recently installed a software update and later rebooted. How irritating. Right now I'm connected via wired LAN (over an 802.11a wireless bridge over the aforementioned access point).

Computers should be able to self-diagnose problems; instead, I have to reboot and run the hardware diagnostic. "Computer: heal thyself!" I don't know how to fix a busted driver in OS X. Perhaps I'll end up switching out HDDs sooner than I expected, since when I do that I'll have to reinstall the OS anyway. Perhaps this Toshiba disk is going bad. I've been using this thing for just over a year now so it's possible. I made a backup recently just in case. DVD-RWs are great for rotating backups.