::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

Of Late

by ::G @ 2010-08-07 12:11
I'll take it as a sign that I'm too busy when I can't find the milliseconds to scrawl something here in a couple months' time.  As recent as a year after I graduated, I identified with the assertion that grown-ups, specifically my generation's parents, seem to have let their dreams fizzle, instead giving in to the way the world is.  In a way, they appear to be part of the problem.  Now I seem to have become precisely that person, just trying to stay afloat in the disarray that envelops my life.  Karmic justice, indeed.

For the better part of July, I was in Japan by myself without the wife and kid.  It was only three weeks, but I was glad to be home at the end.  As always, being in Japan is cool.  Working there, not so much.  This time wasn't as bad time-wise as it has been in the past, but I definitely wasn't as productive.  Being out of the loop in the process, since the drive team can always go straight to the channel vendor for help rather than going through my department, it's hard to justify support trips to Japan these days.  That's just as well, I suppose, but unless I take two trips a year, I can't maintain Silver Elite status on Delta (they've renamed it "Medallion", which is lame).  I managed to meet up with a couple friends while I was there, which made the trip worthwhile on a personal level.

Before I left, I managed to finish adding ladder access to the garage attic.  The trusses aren't the storage type, so they're 2x4 construction instead of 2x6, but I figured they'd be ok for light-duty storage such as bags, empty boxes (e.g. speaker boxes that I need to save for a future move), and other garage detritus.  That was the first real modification I'd done to the house.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, so perhaps I can proceed with more invasive remodeling.  Like ripping the drywall ceiling out of the basement and replacing it with a suspended one.

I'm thinking I need to take a vacation to get some things done.  The problem with vacations is that I treat it like time to kill rather than work, so I never get anything done!  The mother-in-law is talking about visiting, so I may be able to get a couple days to go somewhere with the wife.  Still, the mother-in-law's last visit was far from fun-filled, so there is some reluctance on my part....  Ah, what the hey—mix it up.