::G's Blog

Plug into my stream of consciousness.

Today I have time to blog

by ::G @ 2005-02-08 03:41
Since I'm sick at home, I have some time to blog about the happenings of late!

Friday night I left work early at about 9pm and went to the Campari Club. Marty was there, as well as Nao-san, and Matsuo-san showed up later. It had been about three months since I'd last seen Matsuo-san, and I owed him a beer. Seems like most everyone was drinking 'hybrid' beers that night, half light cut with half dark.

Saturday I slept in as usual. I did a bit of cleaning around the house in the afternoon. Actually I spent entirely too much time recording DV from my Canon videocam to the iMac, and then making a Christmas/New Year's DVD with iMovie. Had to use a hack to get iDVD to burn to my external Pioneer DVD-R, but it worked like a charm. Yeah!! Sachie's parents had invited us over to dinner, so we ventured over there in the evening. Sachie drove the 180 to pick up her bro at STM. The ride was a little bumpy, as she's still getting used to driving a manual. Tetsuo drove on the way back to the house—let's just say it was a quick ride. Definitely a guy who likes cars, but that goes without saying since he runs a garage! Sachie's dad had broken his arm due to an icy walkway in Osaka, so he was casted up and had to eat with his left hand. I tried left-handed chopsticks and did ok, but gave up because I was losing out on the good stuff. After dinner we watched part of the DVD I made earlier in the day. Tetsuo wanted me to watch some episodes of Initial D that he'd rented. I had seen the first episode but didn't particularly care for it at the time, as it was a pirated copy, Chinese dub with English subs, and the artwork wasn't to my liking. Turns out the 180 is a drift car, so I'm a lot more interested in Initial D now, hehe. Need to get out and take that baby for a spin....

In front of MailishSunday I met Noel in Akihabara. Sachie had her voice acting class in the morning, so it seemed like a good idea. I was looking for a mini-ITX motherboard, but didn't find a suitable one at the stores we went too. I'll just have to order one from the Net. Ended up buying more memory for the iMac, a case for my iPod Mini, and an 80 GB HDD. We had lunch at an all-you-can-eat gyouza place, but that was so-so. Later Sachie wanted to check out a "maid cafe", so we found one called Mailish. I guess she wanted to hear one say, "Okaerinasai, goshujin-sama!" Unfortunately there was a line and the wait was estimated at 30 minutes, so we left and went to Jonathan's instead. There were a lot of girls in line at Mailish, including a group of five girls that got in line after us. Somewhat surprising since it's a bunch of waitresses in maid outfits, but even in the U.S. women go to Hooters. This is more toned down than Hooters, although perhaps more fetish-y. A "maid" came out and talked to the people in line, and she was cute. Next time, perhaps. After a salad and dessert at Jonathan's, Sachie and I left for Fujisawa, since she had work.Sachie and Noel in Akihabara

The hard disk I bought is HGST of course, the Deskstar 7K80. Although I could get one for free at work, I wanted to buy one. Besides, the gimmes from the project managers have generally been through a few tests that I'd rather they had not.... I worked on the channel on this HDD, so it's cool to have it. The thing was cheap, too: 80 GB for 5900 yen. When I first started using computers as a kid, HDDs were too expensive for home use! This is a crazy industry. On the other hand, the thing is made in China (Shenzhen), which I don't like: I was hoping for one made in Thailand. Ah well. Installing additional memory in the iMac was cool: it was the first time I'd opened it. Apple did a pretty amazing job of miniaturization. Unfortunately the HDD inside this iMac is a Seagate. Hmm, may just have to switch it out.

Yesterday, Mr. Green surprised me by showing up at work. He was supposed to have gone home, but since we're having so many work issues, he extended for a few days. What a trooper. I feel bad for missing today, but I'm not going to kill myself for my company, especially since they've given me the work of about five people. But hey, we all deal with life in our own way. I just wish my immune system hadn't picked such an inopportune time to go out on me.