A walk in the industrial park
by ::G @ 2005-03-14 21:45
Over lunch I took a walk around the building. In the year I've been here on assignment and the couple years I've been coming here on business trips, I never actually walked around the whole site. I'm sure that says something about my personality, and it's probably none too good. It was actually sort of interesting from the aspect that on a random day like any other, I saw something different. No matter that it was ordinary: newness is novelty.
Also, one of the guys here is a surfer, and I noticed he'd been taking a skateboard out someplace to ride around. Walking around the building, I found him in his 'boarding spot. When you get up and go somewhere, as long as you keep your eyes open, you always discover something new. I wonder if I would've been a skater if I'd had a crowd to run with? Hey, I've always been a bit anti-establishment. Paradoxically, I'm a bit elitist at the same time. That doesn't sound possible, but here I am! It's not tradition that I espouse, it's the stupid people running things. They aren't elite, as in the best of the species, they just happen to be in charge. Then again, perhaps when one gains the mantle of being in charge, one loses one's edge and becomes just another dufus. Life would play its tricks like that.
Also, one of the guys here is a surfer, and I noticed he'd been taking a skateboard out someplace to ride around. Walking around the building, I found him in his 'boarding spot. When you get up and go somewhere, as long as you keep your eyes open, you always discover something new. I wonder if I would've been a skater if I'd had a crowd to run with? Hey, I've always been a bit anti-establishment. Paradoxically, I'm a bit elitist at the same time. That doesn't sound possible, but here I am! It's not tradition that I espouse, it's the stupid people running things. They aren't elite, as in the best of the species, they just happen to be in charge. Then again, perhaps when one gains the mantle of being in charge, one loses one's edge and becomes just another dufus. Life would play its tricks like that.


Leave a comment
Uh, very sorry but I'm not an elite at all I suppose... (=_=;)/))
Whether 'elite' is good or bad depends on the context. In most cases, one wants one's leadership to be the best person available. To not want this is utterly illogical, nee foolhardy, since in that case anyone, even oneself, would be just as good of a candidate. So if one selects from the best possible candidates, they are the elite, at least in a functional sense. Where 'elite' is not ascribed to individuals who excel in intelligence, wisdom, foresight, or other desirable characteristic, I consider an invalid usage of the word. In this sense, it's a loaded term that means different things to different people.